• Development of constituent material combinations for optimum end products.
• Cost-effective ways to manufacture products.
• "Green" production, including the use of bio-fiber and resins and industrial byproducts.
• Strengthening and rehabilitation of conventional structures in service.
• Nondestructive evaluation for structural health monitoring.
• Further development and application of standard test procedures, guide-specifications, design methods and rapid, modular construction techniques.
The center intends to focus on creating new products for specific applications such as pre-cast composite bridge decks and pavement panels, and protection systems to increase the service life of infrastructure damaged by natural and man-made disasters such as earthquake and terror attack. CICI deals with innovation and mass-production of advanced polymer composite members and subsystems with the intent of integrating them into infrastructure systems through construction or rehabilitate in-service systems in a cost-effective manner.